Ackermans operates various social media communities on various social media platforms and are glad to have you as a community member. We encourage you to publish content and interact with us and other community members through our communities. We would like to ensure a positive experience for everyone and therefore we need a few rules for everyone. Please take a moment to read this policy and keep our rules in mind whenever you publish content to or do anything else on our social media communities.
The purpose of this policy to ensure that engaging with us and other community members on our social media communities is a positive experience for you and other community members.
This policy applies to your use of any social media. Social media is a broad term that covers any existing or future digital tool or other kind of technology that allows one person to publish the same message to many people in a public or semi-public forum at the same time using the Internet or a similar communications network. It includes:
• social networking services – like Facebook;
• micro-blogging services – like Twitter or Tumblr;
• professional networking services – like Linkedin;
• video and photo sharing services – like YouTube, Vimeo, Instagram, or Flickr;
• blogs – like corporate or personal blogs;
• forums and discussion boards – like Reddit;x
• wiki websites – like Wikipedia;
• instant messaging applications – like Whatsapp, WeChat, or iMessage when used to send group messages; and
• any other electronic communications – like email or SMS when used to send the same message to multiple recipients.
Our social media communities are spaces for you to discuss topics relevant to our business, for us to communicate with you about our goods and services, and for us to connect you to our official website. You should only publish content that is relevant. Anything contrary to our community purpose will be irrelevant and removed, including:
• links to external websites not related to us or our goods and services;
• adverts for goods or services other than ours – like your goods or services or those of a competitor;
• promotional competitions other than ours – like your promotional competitions or those of a competitor;
• spam or anything else published more than once or in more than one place;
• donation requests unless we have authorised you to publish them in writing;
• acknowledgement requests – like asking for ‘votes’, ‘likes’, or ‘retweets’;
• your personal contact information because it puts your privacy at risk – like your email address or phone number; or
• anything else that isn’t relevant to the purpose or conversations on the social media community in question.
We may edit or remove anything that you publish to our social media communities that are inconsistent with this policy, including anything irrelevant and any conduct, content, or promotional competition related content that is prohibited by this policy.
We may moderate any of the following things as described above among others:
• anything that is not relevant to a social media community or the conversation in question;
• anything that results from prohibited conduct, including discrimination, hate speech, harassment, or trolling;
• prohibited content, including content that is illegal, harmful, offensive, or impermissible; or
• prohibited promotional competition related content, including unjustified outcries, discriminatory objections, or prohibited discussions
We regularly run competitions on our social media pages. These promotional competitions are run in strict accordance with the law to ensure that they are fair and that everyone has the same chance of winning. These promotional competitions are regulated by competition terms and conditions that determine what entries we accept, how we select winners, and how the competition is monitored by auditors. A copy of the terms and conditions are always available to you on our website.
You may not engage in any of the following prohibited conduct:
• unjustified outcries, which means strong expressions of public disapproval or anger based on false assumptions – like “The competition was rigged!” (our competitions are run strictly in accordance with the law and any baseless claim to the contrary is defamation against us);
• discriminatory objections, which means negative comments about the competition or its results based on attributes of the individual entrants or winners, including their gender, ethnicity, religion, race, disability, or sexual orientation – like “I can’t believe only [insert attribute here] people won!” or “Not even a single [insert attribute here] person won!” (anyone is allowed to enter our competitions and a computer chooses the winners randomly under the supervision of an external party – no one has any control over who wins or who does not and there may be multiple winners with a single attribute and none with yours); and
• prohibited discussions, which means certain aspects of promotional competitions that we are not allowed to talk to you about in terms of our promotional competition rules, like the personal details of the winners.
6. Network rules
It is important that you understand the rules of each social media platform. This includes the written rules like their terms of service and the unwritten rules like the manners and etiquette of that social media service that its members generally subscribe to.
7. Not our views
What you and other members publish on our social media communities are not our views.
8. Response times
We will do our best to respond to anything you publish to our social media communities timeously, but are not liable for failing to do so. We generally moderate our social media communities from 08h30 to 16h30 on weekdays other than public holidays.
9. No endorsement
We do not endorse anything you publish to our social media communities merely by acknowledging it in any way, such as a ‘like’, ‘retweet’, ‘favourite’.
If you see any behavior from other community members who are in breach of this policy, we encourage you to report them to us through an inbox message to the page.
We may take recourse against you for breaching this policy by suspending or banning you from any of our social media communities.
We want you to understand this policy as best as you can so that you can comply with it easily. If there is any aspect of this policy that you don’t understand or if you have any questions about this policy, please contact us using the contact information on our customer services page available here: //www.ackermans.co.za/contact-us.
Where third parties are involved and where there is an ongoing investigation all Social Media messages are posted without prejudice, and we reserve all our rights.